Was refreshing my Share point Knowledge & wanted to share New improvements in 2013 versions, Below is the list of new features/Improvements:
- Request Management –> Route /Recognize/Prioritize/ Refuse/Redirect
- Distributed Cache –> Cache is Synchronized between servers
- Minimal Download Strategy (MDS) –> Download only portions that have changed.
- Shredded Storage –> Reduces BLOB I/O during versioning, Reduces amount of data saved in SQL, Decrease Network traffic b/w web and SQL, Fast backups of SQL
- 3 New service Applications :
- Machine Translation Services –> Synchronous(immediate) / Asynchronous (Scheduled via timer Job) – Translate content to another language.
- APP Management Service –> App Store /App isolation
- Work Management Service Application –> Tasks at one Place , Can be integrated with Exchange 2013 & Project Server 2013
- Changes to Existing Service Application :
- SSA is one product –> Fast is no longer Separate Product
- Manage Meta Data –> Control User Tags/ Tags have properties/ Pin Terms
- User Profile Service –> Easier/Faster / Monitor/ User profile replication Engine( separate in 2010)/ One way AD import
- WebAnalytics –> No longer a Service Application / It is part of Search now
- Business Data Connectivity –> Support for OData / Improvements on External List/ Support for SharePoint Apps & Office Apps/ It has event Listener
- Office Web Apps –> No longer a Service Application / Separate Product Now.
- Access Services –> Access Services 2010 (Backward Compatibility) / New & Improved Access Service
- User Authentication –> Windows Classic mode Authentication Depreciated/ Claims based is Recommended /OAuth 2.0 / Better Logging
- Host Named Site Collections –> SP site Urls / Unlimited Host Names / Multiple Urls for every Zone
- Self Service Site Creation –> Signup Page/ User can choose Location / Site Classification
- E-Discovery Center –> Cases /Holds / In-place Holds/ Discovery from Single Site/ Scales out to farms /Exchange Mailboxes, SharePoint Locations, File Shares/Queries for Search & export
- Site Policies –>Life-cycle of the Site/Site Closure /Control Site Proliferation/ Automate Site Retention
There are other improvements as well but want to share the main ones.